Instructions for Downloading GAP
Read everything before you start!
- Go to http://www.gap-system.org/Download/ (link opens a new window)
- Scroll down to "The Basic Steps of GAP Installation", and follow
- NOTE: Right below the aforementioned heading, there are alternate
installation options for Linux and Windows. The Windows installer includes
step-by-step instructions with screen pictures, especially handy for those
of us who are computer-challenged and not hip enough to have Macs.
- See the bottom of the webpage for "When Things Go Wrong" as
needed; a local systems administrator can also help out, and you are welcome
to also try to contact the organizers for assistance (when we will turn
around and ask our techie). Experienced users willing to help out will
also be available at the workshop.
- The very bottom of the webpage provides a link to a very basic GAP
tutorial to check out, or go directly to
documentation, including reference manuals and other tutorial materials and
links of interest are available at
- Beyond the core package, a list of additional GAP packages that may
be of interest (e.g., QuaGroups for computing with quantum groups) and links
to downloading them appear at
Note from Frank Luebeck
Here is a small clarification for the instructions above:
If you follow "The Basic Steps of GAP Installation" you have already
installed all current "additional GAP packages". We don't recommend
(and don't mention this possibility in our installation instructions)
to not install the packages.
The packages can be updated by the respective authors independently
of the core GAP system, and the download links under
are for users who want to upgrade single packages.
For Linux users the shortly mentioned "alternate installation option"
is very convenient, since all the packages are readily installed
(a non-trivial task).